20 October 2009

Smell blind!

This is another from Katzi.

Alysia's story reminded me of this one...

Last year in around June, I went to New York to attend the Baptism of my Goddaughter and her sister. When I came back, I was sick. It seems like I always get sick when I come back from New York... Anyway, it was a 2 week long sinus infection that was pretty bad and when I got over it, I hadn't realized that I had some form of Hyposmia or possibly Anosmia . I thought that my sinuses were still blocked but no. My nasal passages were clear, I just couldn't smell a thing! Freaked out, I looked up everything I could on Anosmia and got really, really scared. The dangers were crazy! What if there was a fire? What if there was a gas leak? What if my food was burning? What if I over season my food? What if...???? All these things that I had never really thought about, I was freaking out about!
My boyfriend thought it was funny (at times) and I came to get used to it. Then, we watched "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" and if you've seen that movie, you know that Dewey becomes smell blind! It was the most hilarious thing ever, so I started using that when I was describing my condition to my friends. After a while, I was tired of explaining that I got "smell blind" from "Walk Hard" because not everyone had seen it at the time, so I (sadly) dropped it.
Last year, I ran into Nate and I ended up going over to his house after a night of partying with my friends. We started talking and he said something to the effect of "Sorry if it smells" or something like that and I said, "It's okay, I lost my sense of smell". His eyes lit up and he said, "You're smell blind?!" He had seen it! He had seen "Walk Hard"! He knew what I was talking about and I said, "Yes, I'm smell blind!" Then he started laughing like crazy and said, "You mean, I can fart and you can't smell it?!" and I said, "Yeah, I wouldn't be able to smell it at all" and he said, "Good because I just did and it's BAD" and we both laughed pretty hard.
I'll always remember that because Nate was the only other person (at the time) to know what I was talking about when I said I was "smell blind".

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Incidentally, if my time line is working out properly, the reason the house smelled was because Frank had put a pot pie in the microwave for 40 minutes instead of 4. The house smelled like burnt hell the entire rest of the time we lived there.

She Loves You and So Do I said...

I think you're right. Nate might have mentioned that. Good thing I was smell blind at the time!